Sunday 4 March 2012

Getting through winter

Living in Norfolk for approximately fifty per cent of my life at the moment, I don’t seem to see much of the sun. The sky seems to be permanent white-wash grey. I’m not sure if it was a coincidence that the one bright day we had last week, was the one day I spent incredibly cheerful. I think the fact I’m tying the grey sky to Norwich probably indicates something; as thinking about it the weather is always fairly dreary in the winter – everywhere.

Term time seems to be going fast, which is both a good and a very bad thing. Good – I get to go home soon. Bad – I have two reports to write and a presentation to prepare. On DOP (Degree of Pyritization) measurements and what they mean. And why our values were anomalously low. Even though I have found no papers suggesting any possible reason.

I seem to be bad at staying on topic. The winter is too long. For me, it’s November – Mid March. Almost half the year. Spring, which is fantastic, is only March to May. February is a terrible month. I don’t know who thought February was a good idea. The only thing February has going for it is pancakes. In my opinion, we should make every day in February pancake day. Then it would be a far cheerier month. And everyone would put on weight. But they wouldn’t care due to pancake-related-joy.
November has Bonfire Night. December has Christmas. January has…Well…January is at least a tiny bit exciting as you get to feel like you’re making a fresh start for half the month. February is as discussed before. March in Norfolk is so far fairly uninspiring. In fact, it’s actually raining at the moment. Winter rain, not spring rain.

There is a difference, you know. Winter rain is boring. It does not have a smell. It is cold.

Spring rain smells amazing, it’s more unusual, and it’s…well cold too. But I’ve made my point.

There are birds singing though. And I saw a green woodpecker in Eaton Park the other day. I’ve seen daffodils. I saw really confused crocuses in February too. So at least I won’t have to sit through winter much longer.

Unfortunately though, my mood is only very slightly dependant on the weather. So I don’t really know if this means I’m going to cheer up.

No comments:

Post a Comment